As some of you may know, BP and I feed Basil and Princess Caroline home made raw cat food following this recipe. However, our cat treats are still store bought. We try to purchase the freeze dried variety with only one ingredient – chicken or liver but cats get sick of food just like humans so we try to give them variety of other “healthy” cat treats.
BP forgot to take another jar out of our freezer to thaw for tonight so he joked that we should just feed them treats for dinner or even tuna, which gave me a great idea to make my own cat treats. NOTE: We are not actually going to feed our cat purely cat treats today!!
DIY Cat Treats
1 can of tuna
1 cup of binding agent* (see below)
1 tablespoon of catnip
1 tablespoon of olive oil
Binding agent – I used half tapioca starch and half potato starch. Okay, maybe a teensy more tapioca starch. I would advise more potato than tapioca.
You could also use other flours but keep in mind that cats can’t really digest them as well. But for treats, I don’t think we can find another solution.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees celsius
2. Throw all ingredients in a bowl and mix well or you could also use your food processor for an even better blend.
3. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper and place cat treat batter. Feel free to shape it however you like.
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes (could be sooner if you use a different binding agent and also depends on your oven)
5. Let cool. Make sure they are properly cooled before serving it to your cats.
6. Keep the rest in a container. Keeps for 7 days.
I would definitely try this recipe again and change up the binding agent. I wouldn’t use other canned foods because there’s usually gravy or other additives in there that cats shouldn’t really be having. Perhaps I’ll shred some boiled chicken for them and bake them into treats. Alternatively, you could break apart the tuna flakes and just bake them (without the rest of the ingredients) and serve it as a treat.